What is the Duo Universal Prompt?
The Duo Universal Prompt is the next generation of multi-factor authentication ( MFA ) designed for a seamless multi-factor authentication experience. This new prompt replaces the traditional Duo prompt that has been enabled for students and staff since 2023.
Duo Traditional prompt to Universal prompt transition schedule:
The transition to the Duo MFA Universal Prompt is scheduled on a system-by-system basis from the February 12th through March 30th 2024. During the transition period, everyone may see a difference in which prompt is set up per system.
|Duo Traditional prompt that is being replaced
|Duo Universal prompt which is being implemented
What you need to know:
Please note the following while IT is upgrading systems:
- No Changes to passwords: Your current username and password will remain the same. The transition to the Duo Universal Prompt does not impact or require a change in your existing passwords. You will be expected to change your password on the normal schedule [ insert link to password info ]
- No changes to enrolled Duo numbers and Devices: If you have already enrolled MFA devices and phone numbers, there is no need to re-enroll or make any changes. Your previously enrolled devices and phone numbers will continue to work with the new Universal Prompt.
- Contact IT Support: Please open a Service Desk ticket if you encounter any issues or have questions anytime throughout the upgrade project.
To assist you in the transition, we have prepared the following resources:
- Video of the new prompt:
- Please click here for a brief video outline of the Duo Universal Prompt.
- Please click here for a Step-by-Step Guide outlining how to update devices and number.
- For information directly from Duo you can visit their website for the Duo Universal Prompt Update Guide
Thank you for your understanding as we upgrade each system the VSC has setup to use single sign on. We encourage anyone to please open a Service Desk ticket with any concerns or questions.
We would love to hear from you
As we continue to improve the VSC IT support site, we would love to get your feedback. Please sign-in to the feedback form linked below to share your thoughts.